Sorry, your browser does not support JavaScript! Please use a browser that supports Javascript.
Frequently Asked Questions for
D-U-N-S Number and SAM Registration

What is SAM? SAM is the System for Award Management. This site, developed by the government will eventually combine eight federal procurement systems and the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance into one new system. Phase one of SAM will combine CCR, ORCA, EPLS and FedReg. As a result, CCR, ORCA, EPLS and FedReg no longer exists since July 29, 2012. For more information visit
Will I still need a DUNS number to enter SAM? Yes, all acitivites related to D&B and the DUNS number will remain the same. The DUNS will be needed to begin your registration and any updates to your company name or address need to be made at D&B prior to entering SAM.
What is D&B Government iUpdate? Government iUpdate is D&B’s internet-based service that allows business owners, officers and mangers the ability to request a DUNS or view, print and request updates to their existing company information.
Can every company use Government iUpdate? No. Only those companies located in the continental US, Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands can use Government iUpdate. Companies outside of these locations, as well as public companies, are unable to make changes to their company information via Government iUpdate.
Is D&B Government iUpdate Secure? Government iUpdate is password protected and encrypted with Secure Socket Layer (SSL) Protocol. In addition, any changes made to your company information get processed through our internal system, which has over 800 validation checks.
Why were my requested changes rejected or not made? To maintain accuracy of significant business information, D&B data update policies require certain change requests to be verified by a third party prior to entry. If verification cannot be confirmed, the change request will be denied. This policy is to assist in protecting you and your company from possible identity theft.
Why are you verifying my identity? To help safe guard your company’s data, D&B must first verify your personal identity and your affiliation with the selected company. To read about how we collect, manage, share and protect information, please review our Privacy Policy.
What are D&B’s Data and Privacy Policies? D&B’s privacy policy can be found at
How do you verify my identity? D&B uses commercially available identity matching technology create a short series of challenge questions based on geographical and demographic data. This is only used to validate your information, we do not store this personal information. To read about how we collect, manage, share and protect information, please review our Privacy Policy.
Do I answer the challenge questions every time I enter Government iUpdate? No, once successfully authenticated, you will establish an ID and Password.
What if I don’t find my company in your database? You may request a new DUNS number using Government iUpdate.
What if I answer the challenge questions wrong? In order to maintain the proper security, you will be allowed two attempts to successfully complete the authentication exam. If the second attempt results in a failure, you will be asked to complete a D&B Government iUpdate Personal/Business Identification Certification before moving forward. This form requires backup documentation and notarization.
Has the website changed? No. The website is still
This is my first time making a DUNS request on the Government iUpdate, should I call into the helpdesk or go to the website? We recommend that you go directly to because submitting online allows you to easily view and answer the personally derived questions and multiple choice answers the authentication exam.
How do I change my password for Government iUpdate? Registered users can modify their Password or User ID through the User Profile option within Government iUpdate.
I forgot my password, can I still get access? Yes, select the “forgot password” link on the main login screen. You will be required to answer your security questions created during registration. Once verified, your password will be e-mailed to you.
Can I use this web site if I have my popup blocker enabled? Certain features and functionality within this web site are launched in popup windows. If you are experiencing any problems in using these features, D&B recommends you disable any popup blockers you have on your system.
What is a DUNS number and how are they assigned? A DUNS number is a unique, non-indicative 9-digit identifier issued and maintained by D&B that verifies the existence of a business entity globally. D&B assigns DUNS numbers for each physical location of a business.
Who is eligible for a D&B D-U-N-S® Number? Commercial, non-profit or government entities Self-employed individuals (only individuals such as; physicians, lawyers, contractors, etc. who are engaged in a specific commercial business activity). All secondary locations including Branches and Divisions .
Is there a charge for U.S. Government contractors? Obtaining a DUNS number is absolutely free for all entities doing business with the Federal government. This includes current and perspective Contractors, Grantees, and Loan recipients. Under normal circumstances the DUNS is issued within 1-2 business days when using the D&B online process.
Are D&B D-U-N-S® Number re-used? Once assigned, a D&B D-U-N-S® Number is not reused or reissued to another business entity.
How do I know if D&B has assigned my entity a new D-U-N-S Number? A D&B Representative has confirmed that your entity has a new D-U-N-S Number. It is always best to confirm the correct D-U-N-S Number for your entity with D&B going online at or by calling 1-866-705-5711 (US Only). International registrants can confirm by sending an e-mail to, including Company Name, D-U-N-S Number, and Physical Address, and Country.
Can I have more than one D-U-N-S Number at the same physical location? Yes, more than one D-U-N-S Number can be issued at the same physical location if they are (1) separate legal entities (ie; LLC, Inc., Corp) or (2) companies that have the same legal business name but different DBA’s and/or a different line of business that is specific to the nature of operations. An example of (2) is when a HQ and brand or division (see definitions below) are co-located, like a warehouse on the premises of the HQ. Definition: Headquarters is a business that has branches or divisions reporting to it and is financially responsible for them. Branch is a secondary location of the HQ. It is not a separate corporation and has no legal responsibilities for its debt. It can be located at the same address as the HQ, if a unique tradestyle is used. Division, like a branch, is a secondary location of a business. However, a division carries out specific business operations related to the headquarters under a divisional name.
How do I Register at SAM? To register with SAM, go to, create a User ID and Password to begin, or enter your existing User ID and Password.
My Corporate Linkage information listed in SAM is incorrect. Please send an email to including your DUNS number and contact information. In the email confirm what should be listed for the HQ/Parent, Domestic Ultimate and Global Ultimate. You will then be contacted by a D&B associate.
What is DUNS+4? The +4 extension to a DUNS number is created by registrants in SAM when there is a need for more than one bank/Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) account for a location. D&B does not create or maintain the +4 number.
How do I check my SAM Registration Status? Go to and click "Search Records" located at the top of the page. Search by entering your DUNS number or business name. If found, your registration status will be displayed.
What is TIN Matching? The TIN matching process is conducted between SAM and the IRS. Be sure to your Taxpayer Name is on the SAM IRS Consent Page as this may be different from your Legal Business Name. If your IRS Consent validation fails, please contact the IRS.
What if my DUNS Number is not recognized at A DUNS number is accepted at after you are registered at SAM. To get to the SAM site, use the link at or go directly to